Friday, September 3, 2010

Grandma and Mike’s Oregon Garden

Natalie: “I want a garden just like my Grandma’s when I grow up . . .”

 IMG_5675 IMG_5676  IMG_5678  IMG_5682 IMG_5685  IMG_5692

IMG_5694  IMG_5713

IMG_5677

Grandma grows a lot of produce in her Garden (all started from seed packs), including pumpkins, tomatillos, tomatoes, onions, corn, squash, strawberries, rhubarb, herbs, etc.

IMG_5673 IMG_5688 IMG_5691

IMG_5702 IMG_5709

IMG_5703 IMG_5704

Every evening, we would go out to Grandma and Mike’s garden to tend to the garden chores.  This included watering with my Uncle Scotty.  Digging new holes with my very own yellow shovel.  Checking for ripe and ready to pick fruits and veggies.

And, learning how to pull my own onions from the Garden!

IMG_5684

IMG_5683 

To keep the garden healthy and growing, my Grandma and Mike have their very own Compost Piles!  They don’t throw very much stuff away, or send anything down the garbage disposal.  Instead, they throw everything in the compost pile.  Each evening, Mike turns the compost with a pitch fork to make sure the food is breaking down and decomposing.  When one pile has broken down into nothing but mulch, they use some of it to fertilize the garden.  And, just to add a side-note of Grandma and Mike’s serious compost efforts:

* Every weekend, Grandma and Mike take a trip to the local Starbucks Coffee shop to pick up a few bags of USED Coffee Grounds!  When they get home, they put this in their compost pile to reduce waste from Starbucks, and help their compost efforts.

Now that’s some serious COMPOST commitment!

IMG_5698

My favorite part of working in the garden:

Spending time with Grandma and Enjoying all the delicious fresh fruit and veggies!

“Someday I’m gonna grow up tall, tall, tall, like my Grandma – and then I’ll have a Garden too.  Ok, Mommy?”

No comments:

Post a Comment