Sunday, April 15, 2012

Dude and Ashley

Well, I've wanted to write this post for a long time now, but the words and feelings always seem to get in the way.  So, forgive me if this is a bunch of rambling and nonsense.

One of our very best friend's here in Arizona got hit by a car while riding his bike.  He was hit while training for a race for the cure ride that was coming up.  He's that kind of guy - always doing things for others, even if it means a lot of training hours!  Anyways, we call him Dude.  Dude is his name to our family, but he's really Scott Moore.  His wife, Ashley, is my best friend here in Arizona.  We see each other a lot, sometimes every day.  We talk a lot, and watch silly shows like Project Runway together.  She shares her crafts and sewing projects with me, and I show her my attempts at such projects as quilting, decorating, etc.  Sometimes we share secrets about our lives cause we don't have family here, so we're each others family.

So, after Dude was in his accident, we started praying for a full recovery.  Nathan and I drove Ashley to the hospital (2 hours away) after she got the phone call that there had been an accident.  Nathan was able to help give Dude a blessing.  We stayed with Ashley until after midnight when Scott's mom finally arrived from Salt Lake.  On the long drive home that night, I asked Nathan if Dude would be ok.  He said he felt the spirit very strongly, and that Dude would make a recovery, he would be himself again, he would have his same personality, and still be active in his life.  

Natalie still (a month later) remembers Dude and Ashley in her prayers without any prompting.  She says, "bless Dude to get better, and bless Ashley to be happy and be good."  Sometimes we've prayed for my brother (the dang brother that keeps getting in snowboarding accidents), sometimes we've prayed for my sister (the one with heart problems), etc.  We pray for our grandma's and grandpa's, cousins, friends, etc.  But, I think this experience is teaching Natalie that we can keep praying until we've received the help, or comfort we need.  I like that about this moment.  I learned these things while going through stuff in my own family life, but I was a teenager.  She is 4!  She is learning young, and I can only hope Maejae is too.

Ashley is finally resting, eating a little more, taking breaks from the hospital, and is able to talk about life happenings.  She's doing quite well - all things considered.  She's always been an example to me, and still is.  Dude is doing awesome!  I cannot tell you how much I feel comforted by Nathan's words from the night of the accident. I am seeing those feelings Nathan had come to pass.  And, I continue to pray for Dude's recovery.  For now, I am grateful that Dude is still here for his sweet Ashley.  I am grateful that he remembers and knows how much he loves Ashley!  I am so happy that he is progressing so quickly.  

If everyone could continue to keep Dude and Ashley in their prayers, we would appreciate it.  We love them like family, and we'll be here for them till this is over.  Nathan said that if needed, I can stay here in AZ with the kids until Dude is home.  That way I can continue to help Ashley as much as she needs me.  Because she has done it for me, and would do it again in a heartbeat.  Cause that's what friends are for!


"Dude" gathering fire wood on our camp-out in Sedona

1 comment:

  1. I still check the recovery blog multiple times a day and we are still praying too! Ashley and Scott are lucky to have friends like you guys (and we are too!)

    ReplyDelete