Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Mining Town

On our small tour of Arizona, Nathan and Scott found an old mining town.  We decided to stop and look on our way home from the Dolly Steam Boat, and I’m quite certain I will be returning again when it is NOT so hot out.  It was over 100 degrees that day, and I was not in the mood to tour an old mining town.  But, it was so fascinating, and I can’t wait to go back an enjoy it more.

 IMG_5916IMG_5910IMG_5921

IMG_5912

These were the tracks leading to the main mine, and some of the carts that were used.  There is also an outhouse, as you can clearly see!  I did NOT attempt to use it, but it was pretty cool looking.

      IMG_5918

This picture shows the room that actually made me feel a little creepy.  The bed was so old, and obviously broken down.  On the other side was a small shelf.  But, peering through the door, you could feel the COLD draft coming from that tunnel.  And I’m pretty sure that tunnel turned pitch black when you rounded the corner.  Obviously not something I would like to do, but mining is actually a pretty cool, risky, and amazing business!  And, after watching the rescue of the Chilean miners, and crying with everyone of them that I watched get rescued, I have a greater appreciation for mining.

IMG_5909

IMG_5944  IMG_5915IMG_5906

The old tools were so interesting, and a lot of fun to look at.

IMG_5931

We almost stepped on this tarantula.  I didn’t know they were just out in the wild like that!  It was a pretty good sized one, but not the biggest I’ve ever seen.  After showing every one, and standing around it for about 30 seconds, we realized it wasn’t moving at all.  Turns out the dumb thing was dried out and dead!  But, it would have been cool to say I saw one chilling on the rocks in Arizona – cause I actually like reptiles!

  IMG_5919

And this was one of Nathan’s favorites – the house that looks like the one on the movie “Psycho.”  I have never seen the movie, but I am told it is a very old scary movie, and actually took place in Arizona.  So, whether or not it is the house in the movie is beyond me, but it was still kind of cool (and it had a creepy looking girl pointing out the top window).

2 comments:

  1. that spider is DISGUSTING! i can't believe you've seen one bigger BLECH! by the way. a spider is not a reptile, it's an arachnid. but still, EEW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! You are so right. But, I still think it's kind of cool :)

    ReplyDelete